German Shepherd Dog Dog For Adoption in CASTLE HILLS, TX, USA
Jayden is a wonderful and playful 6 year old dog who is in need of a home that can provide her with play time and a good outdoor space. We recently moved and are no longer able to provide her with the lifestyle that she needs. Jayden is great with male dogs, but might not be good with other females. She is high energy, loves to play, and is lovingly protective of her family. She is up to date with her vaccines and is in great health.
||German Shepherd, Alsatian, Alsatian Wolf Dog, Berger Allemand, Deutscher Schäferhund
More About German Shepherd Dog Breed
||The German Shepherd is unmatched in character and courage. These dogs make great companions because they are loyal and have the heightened senses of an excellent watch dog. At the same time, they can be gentle and playful companions for children.
||male: 24-26, female: 22-24
||Most colors, other than white, are permissible.
||Dense, straight or slightly wavy, harsh, close lying of medium length.
||German Shepherds are very intelligent, loyal, and obedient. These dogs are known for their bravery and protective nature.
||This breed is very territorial, making them among the least likely of breeds to run away. They are also excellent watch dogs. This breed gets along fine with children and other animals, as long as proper socialization has taken place.
||The German Shepherd requires grooming with a special comb to remove dead hairs.
||This breed is a well-known eager pupil. They respond well to your voice, so training can be quick and impressive.
||German Shepherds need to keep busy, so they are very well suited to some type of work and a good amount of exercise.
|Country of Origin:
||This breed is prone to hereditary disease, such as hip and elbow dysplasia, blood disorders, digestive problems, epilepsy, chronic eczema, and keratitis.
If you’re looking to adopt a dog and don’t know where to start, puppyfinder.com is an excellent source for information about adopting a dog and will connect you with hundreds of shelters across the US that have adoptable puppies and older dogs waiting for forever homes.
- Do your research – find out what types of dogs would be a good fit for your lifestyle and the activity level of your family. Also keep in mind the grooming needs of certain breeds that might require frequent maintenance.
- Decide what you can handle – before you get sucked in by all the adorable puppy eyes you’re about to see, think long and hard about the appropriate age dog for your family or if you are capable of caring for a special needs dog. Puppies are a lot of work, if you don’t have time for potty training and obedience classes you’ll want to consider an older dog. There are plenty of middle aged, vibrant dogs up for adoption as well as many senior dogs that would be a great fit for a family looking for a more subdued dog with lots of love to give.
- Learn about the shelters and their adoption policies – It might be easier to start looking at shelters within a certain radius of home but don’t be afraid to venture out to other states as well. Many states have larger populations of adoptable dogs and their shelters are willing to transport pets to suitable adopting families. Some shelters might have requirements for a home visit, a fenced yard or require you to visit the pet multiple times before you commit to adopting. Understand that the shelters are doing their best to place the pets in suitable homes and these requirements are in the best interest of both you and the pet.
- Start looking… Once you know what you’re looking for and what to expect you can start your search through thousands of adoptable dogs. PuppyFinder allows you to search by age, breed, location and gender.
- Meet in person. Whenever possible it is best to meet the animal in person before agreeing to bring them into your life. Even though photos and descriptions can tell you a bit about a dog, you can’t get a true feeling for the animal until you are able to interact with them and make sure they are a good fit for your entire family, including other pets.